Friday, August 21, 2009

Boon Tong Kee

One of my life secrets is that I eat hainanese chicken rice alot! I can't even afford to name the exact figure how many times it actually is per week because i really feel guilty for the chicken, but yes, it's so often that i need to cut it. I eat it on weekdays, during lunch time at work or dinner somewhere (even take it away sometimes) and i eat it too sometimes in the weekend. So yea, it's that often and that unhealthy. =(

It was so quick when i felt in love with it, i was 6 and fed by my grandma in one of my trips to Singapore and that's how it began! So yea, I have to admit that the chicken rice in my home country is a different version and less delicious.

Introduced to Boon Tong Kee Chicken Rice about 5 years ago at its Upper Bukit Timah outlet and went there afterward like every now and then as if it's a very important weekend ritual, traveling from PGP (NUS' student residence) to my brother's place at Upper Bt Timah and asked him to accompany me for lunch and the conversation pretty much went on like this

Bro: "So what would you like to eat?"
Me:"Hmmmm.... anything" (pretending)
Bro:"Hm, let's go to orchard then..."
Me:"Hm.. but I am quite hungry now.. oh, why dont we go nearby to grab something first?"
Bro:"Okay i dont mind"
Me:" Let's go to Boon Tong Kee then, it's very near.."
Bro: "Ok" (trapped)
So, that's how I did it...

Steamed chicken -- I always prefer the steamed ones than the roasted ones!

Deep fried tofu with mayonaisse
The flour coating the silken tofu is fantastic, yes that's the word. My friends would always make sure they buy the flour before leaving Singapore every time they're here for holiday.

Spinach with 3 Egg combination, normal egg, salted egg and century egg
Well, not everyone is a fan of century egg. My grandma for instance, feels that it's disgusting. Read this and you'll know why.

Seafood seeweed soup -- this is just ok

www.boontongkee.com.sg

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I prefer the roasted ones!!

foodsholic said...

Hi Cheryl, yea... somehow everyone loves the roasted ones! but BTKee's roasted ones are very dry in my opinion.. the steamed ones are juicier... ;P

Post a Comment