Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Bak Kut Teh - Chinese Pork Ribs Soup

Crowded, as always

A Queuing place?? Seems more organized now

Bak Kut Teh

You Tiao, dipped in the soup before eating it

Our normal menu for two:
  • Pork ribs bak kut teh
  • Mixed kidney and liver
  • Green vegetables
  • You Tiao
  • Rice
Bak Kut Teh spices, requested by my friend's sis who lives in US

Popularly served in countries like Malaysia, Singapore, China and Taiwan which name literally translated to "meat bone tea". I am sure each of us has our own personal favorite Bak Kut Teh stall. It can't be argued whether the peppery (mostly in Singapore) or the herbal variant type (Malaysia) is more delicious because it's really a personal preference. I personally prefer the peppery type. The more peppery, the more delicious it is.

It's pretty ritual for me to spend my Saturday or Sunday morning at "Ng Ah Sio Pork Ribs Soup Eating House" at Rangoon Road. Nothing fancy inside, the eating house instead looks pretty old but big enough to accommodate more than 100-250 people (my rough estimation). Don't be surprised that the staffs there are not famous for their friendliness but I heard from a friend that most of them are loyal staffs who have been working for tens over years, and I can see they're all obviously busy..

Visitors vary from old to young generations, Singaporeans to foreigners and even tourists from Korea, Japanese, Taiwanese and Caucasians.

Tips: Don't go for the peppery Bak Kut Teh if you have cough/sore throat, it will get worse.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Most of my friends like to compare ah sio bak kut teh with the one at havelock. I actually still prefer this because it's more peppery, more shiok :)

foodsholic said...

@Cheryl: In fact i stay only a few bus stops away from the havelock bak kut teh outlet but I still travel to rangoon road which is much further away. Something's missing in havelock's bak kut teh, don't u think? Just my two cents though. When it comes to food, i guess it's all about preferences.

Post a Comment